Highlighted
New Member.

Client Interested in moving from Sage 100 Contractor to Quickbooks Enterprise

I come to you with a bit of a conundrum. I have a long time client that is currently with Sage 100 Contractor but wants to move back to Quickbooks if possible. They found if they switch to Quickbooks they will need the most sophisticated version, Enterprise. They will need to migrate and I am wondering if anyone has had any experience with this situation? I know there is a tool that Intuit provides to move those with Sage 50 to Quickbooks but there is no guarantee it will work with any other version of Sage.

The second part of this is more complicated. I am not convinced that Quickbooks Enterprise will work better than Sage 100 Contractor. I need someone with more expertise on both Sage 100 Contractor and Quickbooks Enterprise than I have.

Some details on the client:

This is an energy engineering firm and their biggest accounting requirements all are related to payroll and job tracking.  A big chunk of the complexity has to do with the project manager coming up with approximately 500 cost codes now in Sage that he uses to monitor the jobs.  These cost codes filter into payroll as well as A/P. A few years back we were still manually putting the labor hours into QuickBooks.  At that time, we couldn't find a suitable "app", at an affordable price  that would handle the extensive cost code structure, seemlessly integrate with QuickBooks and provide a flexible report writing capability for project management,  but we believe they may exist today at affordable prices.  And it needs to be simple enough so that all of the accounting functions are accomplished by no more than two FTE employees.

I think we are looking for someone to:

• Recommend software solutions that would work with the most appropriate version of QuickBooks
  • Help with setting up a chart of accounts that would allow for governmental reporting (there are federal contracts involved)
  • Advise on GAAP related to direct, indirect & overhead and handling allocations
  • Recommend a way to account for multiple divisions
  • Advise on the best practices for using items and payroll items
  • Assist with establishing a cost budget for the project and ongoing support
  • Generally, be available to guide the company when questions arise

Because the Sage installation did not go smoothly (we didn't get the kind of assistance from the vendor that we expected) the company will likely want a very through understanding of the software capabilities & requirements and references to people using it now before committing to make the change.

Sorry if I am posting this in the wrong area. Please let me know if there is a better spot to ask any of these questions. Thank you for any help you can provide.

7 Comments
Community Host

Re: Client Interested in moving from Sage 100 Contractor to Quickbooks Enterprise

@ScottMeisterCPA, this sounds a perfect question for you since you have Sage and QuickBooks background.

ProAdvisor

Re: Client Interested in moving from Sage 100 Contractor to Quickbooks Enterprise

I’ve only converted two companies from Sage to QuickBooks.  One was Sage 50 to QB Pro and the other was Sage 50 to QB Premier.  I wouldn’t count on the tool Intuit provides for the conversion as we experienced all sorts of mapping issues.  The data looked good on the surface, but the more we dug, the more we realized we needed to start over.  From what I was told it’s an issue with two different database structures, and they didn’t work well together, especially when custom fields were involved.  We ended up starting a QB file at the beginning of the year and loaded the balance sheet via journal entry.  Certain items were posted in the new QB file for prior period (uncleared checks, open invoices, unpaid bills, etc.)  This means that my clients don’t have detailed records from Sage in their QB file.  Both clients were okay with this, but yours may not be okay with it.  For what it's worth, both clients absolutely LOVE QuickBooks compared to Sage for ease of use, customer support, etc.

For retaining the prior year detail, you might be able to use something like Transaction Pro to populate a new QB file with prior year Sage transactions, but I don’t know how you’d get the transactions out of Sage.

Without seeing their current setup, it’d be hard to say which version of QB to use.  But, based on what you’ve written, “500 cost codes” and “provide flexible report writing capability for project management,” I’d think Enterprise may be your best bet (considering Pro, Premier, or Enterprise).  One of the nice parts about QB Desktop is you can try Pro or Premier and if you need to, you can easily upgrade to Enterprise.

A couple questions…

Just curious, but why 500 cost codes?  For an energy engineering firm, I would’ve expected much less.  What’s the product/service split on the cost codes?

Are they running payroll in house?  How many employees do they have?

How detailed are they wanting the job costing?  For example, do they want to know job costing per employee, per pay period? Or would job costing per month/year be adequate?  I’ve had payroll companies produce job costed payroll reports for clients and they’re able to journal entry the info in as one bulk number.  It’s somewhat generic, but it works for their reporting.  Would something like that work in this instance?

For multiple divisions, I’m assuming they could use class tracking?

Hope this helps!

Scott

Super Contributor

Hi Scott - 

Is your client by chance a Govt contractor?  For true project cost accounting, I suggest you check out PROCAS (Project Cost Accounting System).  System includes Timekeeping and Expense reporting accessed by employees via any internet connection, where they can post to projects, tasks, subtasks labor categories (if needed) and cost centers (depts).  That data flows into accounting system to compute Indirect rates such as Fringe, Facilities, Overhead and G&A, which can be applied as burdens on direct project costs and on billing invoices to customers. Also does all the normal accounting like AP, AR, GL, Bank recons, etc. You can see a free 30-minute demo on their website and request a free live interactive one for 90-minutes, you can also see videos on You-Tube and there is a Blog.   I do not sell any systems, and I don't mean to try to sell one here, but sounds more like what you need.  I have impIemented for about 20 companies and all love it and I have about a dozen ongoing clients on PROCAS, where I access all from my one same menu.  you are interested after viewing online or after demos, let me know as I can help you pay even less.  I have client on Sage right now and I am not liking it, so they will move soon.

ProAdvisor

No government contractors but after reading you're post, I'll be looking at PROCAS as it may be a good fit for other clients.  Thanks for sharing!

Super Contributor

Glad to help and not to take away from QB, but project accounting is not their best thing. So I think actually better to not have people on here complaining about that functionality.  Just holler if I can answer any questions as I use the system every day and have for years. 

Community Host

@Teri, feedback is always appreciated and I always send it up the chain when I can. If we can't have open and honest conversation, then we can't have a community. 

Established Member

Our 3rd Party integration app was recently approved by Intuit along with Sage 50, 100 and 300 and may bring some additional value with QB or other accounting app you decide on for automating document-related processes. https://appcenter.intuit.com/contentcentral?locale=en-US We can handle the cost coding aspect and then push the data to app while storing all Job related docs and even incorporating a job status workflow with inherent reporting capabilities. Would be happy to discuss further or provide a demo if there is interest.