cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Community Host

Give a Little, Get a Sale: Discounts in QBO

Quickbooks_Soaptopia_Shot_01_3725_b.jpg

“20% off sale!” “Buy one get one free!” All business owners know that discounts can be a great way to get customers in the door. You can entice potential clients with a free hour of your services, or give special rewards to your return customers. QuickBooks Online lets you apply discounts to Invoices and Sales Receipts in the moment, saving you time and making your customers happy.

Get started by enabling discounts in Gear > Account and Settings. Click Sales on the left and check the box next to Discount to turn them on.

Discounts1.png

Next time you open an Invoice or Sales Receipt, you’ll see a new Discount menu in the Subtotal column. You can toggle this menu to give either a percentage discount or a dollar value off the total. 

Discounts2.png

Importantly, QBO allows you to set whether the sales tax is calculated based on your retail price, or the discounted price, so you can stay compliant with your local laws. Just click the two arrows to the left of the Discount menu to flip them and watch QB make the change.

DiscountFlipGif.gif

There’s a great discussion about how to use discounts in your business over on Running Smoothly. Let me know if you’ve used QB for discounts in the past and how it’s worked out for you in the replies here. I’d love to hear your stories!

3 Comments
Community Host

Re: Give a Little, Get a Sale: Discounts in QBO

I love how easy it makes running sales! Staying compliant with local tax laws is a challenge and can be a big headache; another winning feature here. Smiley Happy

Established Member

@MegBarbolini @AudreyPratt

"whether the sales tax is calculated based on your retail price, or the discounted price"

Great point. This's a common mistake by retail store owners.

discount.JPG

Community Host

It's so important that you know when to apply your sales tax in terms of your discounts, and it's great that QBO makes it flexible right on the Invoice/Sales Receipt.

Thanks for the kind comment! Smiley Happy