Highlighted
Established Member

Quickbooks Online Newbie? Take a minute and walk in my shoes...

Hello everyone. Just wanted to take a minute and introduce myself to the community. I am a Commercial and Residential Paint Contractor in Southern Indiana. I am also a complete tech geek and total newbie to Quickbooks Online.  The initial thought of diving in and taking control and oversight of my business finances was extremely intimidating to say the least.  However, I can honestly say within just a couple weeks time, after watching numerous tutorial videos found on Intuit and also on Youtube, I am starting to really get in a comfortable with navigation, sending estimates, classfiying expenses, etc.

My advice to any newbie's like myself is very simple.  Take it seriously but don't pop any gaskets from stressing over it.  Simply watch the tutorials and soak them in.  Quickbooks has made the entire process simpler than you realize.  Also look in your area or online for Quickbooks Online trainers.  There are many out there and they are cost effective to say the least unless of course you like paying CPA's way more hourly wages then necessary.

In the end I am learning new functions and logistics every day from using Quickbooks and not intentionally trying to sound like an infomercial I can say Quickbooks Online is an amazing product and extremely user friendly if you just give it a chance. 

When you are starting to learn Quickbooks and watching videos, if you start to get stressed out or feel lost, step back for a minute take a break and gather your thoughts. It will surprise you how after relaxing your brain for a minute will bring together all that information in your mind that you absorbed earlier.  Then when you sit down and go over it again chances are it will start to "click" and become a little clearer.

In the end you simply have to have a good attitude and jump in there.  It's what I did and I am completely satisfied with my progression.  Also when you start to understand it even better and are feeling more confident about it you will also be amazed at the sense of accomplisment and control you start to get for your business and its finances.

You can do it. You just have to want to do it and then put in the work.

4 Comments
Super Contributor

Re: Quickbooks Online Newbie? Take a minute and walk in my shoes...

Hi Tim,

I would like to welcome you to the community. I like that you suggest watching tutorials to learn more.

I have developed a YouTube playlist on QuickBooks Online and I hope to think it helps learn the basics of the system. I advise a lot of my clients to go away and watch this again after their initial training session with myself.

You can find the playlist here: QuickBooks Online Training Guide

Of course if anyone has any questions please do not hesitate to get in touch with me.

Kind Regards,

Emily

Community Business Host

Hey @TimThePainter - a warm welcome to QB Community! Thanks so much for introducing yourself here Smiley Happy

"The initial thought of diving in and taking control and oversight of my business finances was extremely intimidating to say the least." Absolutely! Many of our members have also struggled with this. I love your recommendation to simply take a deep breath, slow down, and self-educate at a pace that feels comfortable to you. 

As you and @EmilyMockett point out, there are plenty of resources out there that enable self-directed learning. Right here in QB Community, you'll find helpful tutorials AND benefit from a group of small-business owners like you who have "been there, done that," and are eager to share their experience with you.

I'm so happy to have you here, Tim, and I look forward to learning more about your painting company in Evansville. (LOL, full disclosure: I Googled your business name. Don't forget to fill out the rest of your profile page!)

Content Lead

Welcome @TimThePainter! Like @EmilyCowan and @EmilyMockett, I really appreciate you sharing your experience getting up to speed with QuickBooks. In fact, I think you've pinpointed a mindset that's relevant to pretty much every aspect of running a small business: "When you are starting to learn Quickbooks and watching videos, if you start to get stressed out or feel lost, step back for a minute take a break and gather your thoughts. It will surprise you how after relaxing your brain for a minute will bring together all that information in your mind that you absorbed earlier.  Then when you sit down and go over it again chances are it will start to "click" and become a little clearer."

What a great way to sum up an approach to solving business problems that every entrepreneur can benefit from!

Momentum to $1 Million Host

Hey @TimThePainter and welcome!  I'm the host and Business Coach of the Momentum to $1 Millon group right here in the QB Community, so if that sounds interesting, click here and click the green button to join us and mark your calendar for my live Office Hours every Wednesday at 11am PT where you can ask me pretty much anything about growing your business to a million and beyond! And again, BIG WELCOME!! @JulieatTheWELL