cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Established Member

How is the MINDSET of a Business Owner Different from the AVERAGE PERSON?

I am a mindset coach for business owners.  I'd love to get feedback from the group on how you believe a business owner thinks differently than the average person.

21 Comments

Re: How is the MINDSET of a Business Owner Different from the AVERAGE PERSON?

A business owner knows that it will take hard work, sleepless nights to start his business. It will mean going against the flow, ignoring the many people, who will tell him that what he is dreaming of is impossible and should not be tried. A business owner will try one more time, do one more thing, call one more person, give it one more shot, look at one more resource until he succeeds. An average person will clock out and go home at 5.
Community Host

Well said @photosbydepuhl!

Hi @Jeff Smiley Happy 

A business owner thinks outside of the box and is very solution-minded. I think they have an incredible mental ability to overcome self-doubt and fears. Giving up is not an option. 

Established Member

The key to being a sucessful business owner starts with a mind set.  You have to stop thinking I do this, and start thinking the business does this.  Once you divorce yourself from the business in terms of your thought process, many seemingly complex issues get easier.

Established Member

Like your PERSISTENCE, @photosbydepuhl.  As a business coach, I help my clients realize that more work is not always the solution to what ails them.  However, as strong workers, we think that working harder, longer, and not resting is going to work for us.  Unfortunately, it ends up burning us out and clouding our thinking and making us quite grumpy with those that ought to be doing the work for the company.  Hardwork is a left over of our worker brain.

Established Member

Great addition, @AudreyPratt.  I love the 'solution minded" idea.  I would also add that business owners can usually consider many more options than the typical worker... and that's why they tend to come up with solutions that elude the average person.  I also love the "ability to overcome self-doubt and fears".  That is why business owners can take risks that no others will take.   Sounds like you may be a successful business woman.

Established Member

I love this answer, @Rustler.  Not sure I would use the word "divorce", but I completely agree that you need to be a player in a bigger organization; and not think that it is all about you.  Unfortunately, the personality profile of most CEO's and Business Owners contains a strong EGO component; and they forget to separate themselves from the business... and get absorbed into ME; instead of into US.

@Jeff, I'm not talking about working harder, just to work. I'm talking about not being discouraged by obstacles. A business owner has to work efficiently in order to maximize his resources, especially those of us who work as solopreneurs. I'm with you 100% resting, recharging, recalibrating and reevaluating are all skills we need to remember. Check out how I make a Post-It note work really hard, so I don't have to:

Productivity with a Post-It note

Established Member

I have a bit of trouble with the use of "Average Person," personally. I know a lot of Average people that are business owners, and Successful and Proud.  There are two perspectives I see: The average or typical person that decides to start a business (and perhaps doesn't shift gears in response); and, the average or typical worker that is the Incredible resource to the business owner.

I would examine this as, "What mindset does the business owner Need?"

Because, not everyone needs to learn everything or excel at it.

A successful Business Owner needs to be able to stand back when they are In the Way, step Forward when it is their time to Lead, and know that difference. Sometimes that means, get out of your own way.

Community Host

This is a great mindset, @Rustler

Discussion Tags